Monday 4 May 2020

Adding machine

Later in the week (Friday) you will be asked to make an adding machine. There are many ways to make them. This is the one I (Mrs Pengelly) made for my daughter at home.
*You don’t need to add the symbols + or = to your machine. Your child is not expected to recognise these symbols just yet. My daughter is slightly older. 

Need:

-Shoe box and lid or a box that can open to have a back.  
-Toilet rolls
-sellotape or strong glue.
-Some counters we used counters but you can use many things eg Pom poms, pebbles, ...



Here is the inside lid of my shoe box. On the top half I had taped 2 toilet rolls at angles. We decorated the top half with some sticky dots. (Try not to decorate too much). 



Slide the lid onto the bottom of the box. You can glue this in place to steady it. If you don’t glue the lid I find it is easier to tidy away. I can just put the lid back on and get the machine out when needed. 

We used post it’s to stick numbers to each tube. 
We then counted out for the first tube. Then counted out for the 2nd tube. We dropped the counters into the tube we counted them out loud as we dropped them in.


How many altogether? 

To help with counting we lined them up and counted them altogether to find the answer. 
Have fun with your Adding machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment